Unilever, owner of brands including Dove, Ben & Jerry’s and Lipton, on October 7, 2019 announced “new commitments to reduce its plastic waste and help create a circular economy for plastics”.
By 2025, the company commits to the following:
- Halve its use of virgin plastic … [and] Help collect and process more plastic packaging than it sells …
- Unilever is already on track to achieve its existing commitments to ensure all of its plastic packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025, and to use at least 25% recycled plastic in its packaging, also by 2025
- Our starting point has to be design, reducing the amount of plastic we use, and then making sure that what we do use increasingly comes from recycled sources.
- We are also committed to ensuring all our plastic packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable …
- Our vision is a world in which everyone works together to ensure that plastic stays in the economy and out of the environment”